Most of us must have paid a traffic fine at least once in our lifetime. Do you know how easily you can pay a vehicle fine online without waiting in long queues? If not, read on to know more.
It is very common for people to get fined by traffic police at least once in their lifetime looking at the violation of traffic regulations that people are always up to. Though it can be restricted to some extent if you comply with the traffic rules. Nevertheless, when it comes to traffic fines payment, the most annoying thing is standing in long queues while waiting for your turn to pay the fine. Also, due to this particular issue many people tend to postpone the payment of fines and even tend to miss the due dates.
However, this issue can be resolved now with vehicle fine check online where you can check and pay for traffic fines online. Since the internet has made everything online, you can now easily pay fines at your comfort.
Get your vehicle insured with theMotor insurance
Table of Contents – How to check vehicle fine by Vehicle Number
- What is online traffic challan or e-challan?
- How does the online payment of traffic fine or e-challan work?
- How to check Online Traffic Fine on your Vehicle?
- Ways to pay Traffic Fine Online – Paying E Challan
What Is Form 12BB? How to Fill out Form 12BB – Investment Declaration & Tax saving
Form 16: What is Form 16? How to Fill Out and Download Form 16, Form 16Aand Form 16B
International Yoga Day 2023: check History, Date, Theme and Interesting Facts
Top 5 Investment Ideas for Guaranteed Returns in 2023
World Blood Donor Day 2023: Date, History, and Interesting Facts
View more web-stories
What is online traffic challan or e-challan?
The e-challan is an online official notice that the traffic police uses to penalize vehicle owners for breaking traffic rules on the road. The electronic challan or e-challan not only makes it easy for traffic police to issue fines on traffic rule defaulters but it also make it easy for the vehicle owners to ensure vehicle fine check and pay the fine easily without any hassle especially going to the RTO or police station to pay the fine or waiting in long queues to make the payment etc.
So, the vehicle fine check online or e-challan is a digital solution designed by the government of India to enhance service and transparency of the Traffic System, which has helped in augmenting the efficiency of the system in a great way. The e-challan works through an Android-based application that can be operated on mobile as well as on web portals.
The e-challan system has been incorporated with Vahan and Sarathi applications, which are very simple to access applications and can be used by anyone.
Also Read: Delhi Traffic Police Challan
How does the online payment of RTO traffic fine or e-challan work?
The government has executed the e-challan system across 15 Indian states so far for the convenience of its people and for traffic fines checking online. So, states like Delhi, Chandigarh, Bihar, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Odisha, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, and Puducherry have incorporated the e-challan system that the traffic police uses to levy fines. Further, the vehicle owners uses this e-challan system to make payment of fines online through particular portals.
So, the traffic system these days is driven by technology. Let us see how the system works:
There are numerous CCTV cameras that have been installed on prominent places and highways across the states where the e challan public view system is incorporated. These CCTV cameras constantly record footage of the running traffic, which are followed by traffic policemen to levy fines via CCTV-enabled e-Challan system.
If any vehicle owner breaks a traffic rule, the footage gets recorded on CCTV and the traffic police takes the necessary details of the vehicle from the screenshot captured in the footage. They gather further details of the vehicle and its owner from RTO to levy RTO fine checks on the traffic rule defaulter via email, SMS, postal service etc. The SMS sent by traffic police contains details about the violation including time, location and date of traffic rule violation.
Also Read: Traffic offences and penalties in India
Traffic Fines Online Checking – How to check vehicle fines online on your Vehicle?
Vehicle Traffic fine check online is very simple and easy. All you need is to follow the simple steps mentioned below:
- Visit the transport department portal of your state.
- Go to ‘e-challan payments’ section.
- Here, click on the ‘type of violation’ that you need to pay the fine for.
- Now submit the e-challan number or alternatively you can submit the vehicle registration number for traffic violation check by vehicle number.
- You will see a screen in front of you with the fine that is levied on your vehicle.
- Here, you will have to submit the captcha code.
- Now submit the payment details or the mode of payment you will be using to pay the fine.
- Once you pay the fine, you will receive an SMS verifying your challan payment.
Also Read: Top 10 insurance companies in India
Ways to pay Traffic Fine Online – Paying E Challan
Pay Online Traffic Fine via Vehicle Registration Number
If you want to have an online traffic RTO fine check on your vehicle, you can check it by submitting your vehicle registration number in the online portal of the state transport department. If there is any e-challan on your vehicle, pay the fine online as stated below.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the transport department portal of your state.
- Go to the e-challan payments section.
- Now click on the traffic violation payment section.
- Here, click on the type of violation that you are levied the fine for.
- Enter the e-challan number or the vehicle registration number.
- Now, enter payment details or mode of online payment
- Pay the fine and get a confirmation on SMS.
If you are levied with a police fine, it is very important to pay it on time or else you might be summoned to give an explanation for your act to the judge. In extreme cases, even your licence might be suspended. So, to avoid all such things, you should avoid breaking traffic rules by avoiding rush hours on the road. You must comply with all rules on traffic on the road to be safe. Also, it is essential to keep important documents with you while driving your vehicle such as RC, DL, Car Insurance Policy etc.
Also, keep a note of traffic fines online checking so that you don’t miss out on any fines levied on your vehicle by mistake.
Found this post informational?
Browse PayBima Blogs to read interesting posts related to Health Insurance, Car Insurance, Bike Insurance, Term Life Insurance, and Investment section. You can visit PayBima to Buy Insurance Online.
Also, check out the PayBima’s Guide and Glossary section –
- PayBima Guide and Glossary,
- Health Insurance Guide,
- Term Insurance Guide,
- Car Insurance Guide,
- Bike Insurance Guide,
FAQs on How to Check and Pay Traffic Fines Online
How can I check my traffic fines online in India?
Yes, you can check your traffic fines online in India in various ways. You can visit parivahan.gov.in. website to check the traffic fine status using either your challan number, vehicle number or driving licence number.
How do I check my traffic fines with a number plate?
You can first log on to E challan parivahan website where you will find challan details. This form consists of three options of checking traffic fines, such as:
# Check challan status using Challan number
# Check e Challan status using vehicle/vahan plate number
# Check e challan status using Driving license.
Which is the best app to check traffic fines?
Two mobile apps, echallan and mParivahan launched by the government of India allow citizens the access to receive information about their traffic fines. It also allow them to report any traffic violation or road accident.
Can I pay challan with my Google pay?
Yes, you can pay your challan amount using Google pay. In fact, you can pay the fine amount using UPI based digital payment apps like Paytm, PhonePe and Google Pay etc.
How long is a traffic fine valid for?
A traffic fine stays valid for 60 days. So, citizens are expected to pay an e-challan within a period of 60 days from the day it is issued. If you do not pay the challan during this period, it will be forwarded to the court.
Steps to check Delhi traffic police challan online?
Below are the steps to check Delhi traffic police challan online:
# Go to the official portal of parivahan.gov.in
# Now look for the 'Check Challan Status' option on the right side
# Click on the Check Challan Status'
# You will land in a page
# Here, offer the details asked for and check your Challan status
Other Motor Insurance Products
Motor Insurance Car Insurance Bike Insurance Car Addon Covers Third Party Car Insurance Comprehensive Car Insurance Own Damage Car Insurance Zero Dep Car Insurance
- Go to your state's transport department website.
- Go to a section called e-challan payments.
- When you see the traffic violation payment section, click on the type of violation for which you are paying the fee.
- Enter the e-challan or vehicle registration number.
- Step 1– Visit the echallan.parivahan.gov.
- Step2– Choose 'Check Challan Status' from the drop-down menu under 'Check Online Service'
- Step3– Enter the required details and captcha code.
- Step4– Click on 'Get Details'
The traffic challan can be paid either online or offline. Each state in India has a separate website dedicated to transport. To make an online payment for traffic challan, you can either visit the state transport website or pay through official website of E-challan - Digital Traffic/Transport Enforcement Solution.How can I check my RTO fine online in Maharashtra? ›
Go to https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/ . Enter details such as your driving licence number, E-Challan number, and vehicle number. The screen will display the status of your e-challan if you have any pending challans issued by the Maharashtra government.How do I check traffic violations? ›
- Access the portal of the Ministry of Interior (Absher).
- Enter your national identification number or resident permit (Iqama) number and the CAPTCHA code.
- ) ...
- Select (Inquire About Traffic Violations).
- Enter your the ID number and CAPTCHA code.
Another way to check if you have any traffic violations is to visit the nearest LTO office in your area. Step 1: Prepare necessary documents such as a driver's license, valid ID, and proof of address. Step 2: Go to the nearest LTO office in your area and proceed to the Violation Inquiry counter.What happens if you don't pay traffic fines in India? ›
Even if you have received a challan on the spot and don t pay it off on time, it is moved to the court, where you can make its settlement. Usually, if the challan time limit is crossed, a court order is summoned about your challan pending in court.Where can I pay traffic fines? ›
Pay traffic fines online and hit the road hassle-free. Now you can pay your traffic fines quickly and easily at the same place you bank. Simply choose to pay either through internet or mobile banking, at a branch or even at one of our many ATMs.How can I pay challan online in Delhi? ›
- Visit the Parivahan e-challan webpage.
- Enter your username and password.
- Enter your Challan number/Vehicle number/Driving License number.
- Enter the Captcha code and click on .
- From the displayed list of e-challans, select one to make the payment.
Who can collect traffic violation fines on the road? A Traffic Police officer of or above the rank of Sub-inspector can collect the traffic violation fines on the road.
|Offence||New Penalty (From September 2019)||Old Penalty|
|Road Rules Violation||Rs.500 to Rs.1,000||Nil|
|Travel without ticket||Rs.500||Rs.200|
|Disobeying orders of Authorities/Refusing to Share Demanded Information||Rs.2,000||Rs.500|
|Driving an Unauthorized Vehicle without License||Rs.5,000||Rs.1,000|
To contest a wrong e-challan, the vehicle owner can raise a complaint and claim that the traffic violation issued to them was not committed. For this, they need to present evidence of their innocence. With this evidence, the individual can speak to the traffic police and raise a complaint using the Grievance System.How to pay online fine for traffic violation in Maharashtra? ›
- Go to Maharashtra Traffic Police Challan payment page on Paytm.
- Enter your Challan No. or last 4 digits of your vehicle number, or Chassis Number, or engine no.
- Click on 'Proceed'
- Check your challan amount and proceed with the payment.
- You are done with it.
Visit any traffic police station in your city along with your Driving Licence, Address and Identity Proof, and traffic violation challan. Pay your fine in cash and get the receipt.What is the fine for RTO overload in Maharashtra? ›
Section 194 (IA) of the Motor Vehicle Act states that anyone caught driving a vehicle extending load beyond the limits shall be punishable with a fine of ₹20000 and an additional amount of ₹2000 per tonne of surplus weight along with the liability to pay charges for off-loading of the excess load.How to check Mukhalfa online? ›
- Log into your Absher account.
- Click on Inquiry Services.
- Choose Query Traffic Violations for Visitors.
- Choose one of the previously mentioned documents (KSA border number, passport or residency number) to proceed further.
- Enter the verification code.
- Click on View.
- Visit the Delhi Traffic Police website.
- Select from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your Vehicle number/Notice number and click "Search Details".
- You will get all the details regarding your Delhi traffic police pending challan and the due amount.
- Visit the Andra Pradesh e-Challan web portal on the Park+ website.
- Enter your vehicle number and get your challan status details. ...
- Visit the apechallan.
- Enter your vehicle number.
- From the list of your challans, select the one for which you want to know the status.
- A link is provided in the Home page of KarnatakaOne Web Portal at the top left corner of the home page to know your violations as of now.
- Click the link Know Your Violations.
- Enter New Registration No. in the respective field provided in prescribed format i.e.